We study tongue nerve supply into two parts.
1. Sensory supply-
1. Anterior 2/3 of tongue-
- General sensation (GS) – Trigeminal nerve carry GS from anterior 2/3 of tongue.
- Special sensation (SS) – Facial nerve carry SS from anterior 2/3 of tongue.
2. Posterior 1/3 of tongue-
- Glossopharyngeal nerve carry both GS and SS from posterior 1/3 of tongue.
3. Posterior most part of tongue-
- Vagus nerve carry both GS and SS from posterior most part of tongue.
2. Motor supply-
All extrinsic and intrinsic muscles of tongue are supplied by hypoglossal nerve (12th cranial nerve) except palatoglossus muscle.
Palatoglossus muscle is supplied by vagus nerve.
NOTE : General Sensation (GS) means temperature, pain sensation from tongue.
NOTE : Special sensation (SS) means taste sensation from tongue.